The foundation to any good wardrobe is to have the right undergarments. Whether you admit it or not, your bra situation might be a mess. You might not have given much thought about buying bras – you just get one to add to your wardrobe when you feel like it and that’s it, no?. However, this means you’ll have bras in your closet that you might no longer use.
So, the big question is this: how many bras should I own? It is a valid question and something that a lot of women should think about. If you have the same question, make sure you read this guide to learn more about how to buy bras and how many you need.
How Many Bras Should I Own?
There is no right or wrong answer to this. The number of bras you need in your closet will depend on your needs and how you use them. Even experts have mixed opinions on how many bras women should own.
If you want a minimalist wardrobe, you can start with 7 bras. This will give you enough options while keeping your closet functional. With this strategy, you can have 4 everyday bras and 3 bras for specialty use (such as going to the gym or for wearing certain types of dresses, etc).
For most women though, the formula will depend on a variety of factors depending on lifestyle and personal preferences. If you cannot decide on a number, it is important to evaluate your lifestyle needs.
- Look at your closet and identify which bras you actually wear on a regular basis. There is a big chance that you do not use all of the bras in your closet. Most women only keep a few bras in rotation. This means that all those extra bras you keep in your closet are only taking up more space and collecting dust. Focus on investing in the styles that you actually use and get a lot of wear from.
- Make sure you give enough rest in between use for each type of bra. For everyday use, having 4 of them will give you enough time to wash them in between.
- You can wear a bra 2 or 3 times between washes. However, this will vary depending on your use and how sweaty you got while wearing them. If you get too sweaty or dirty while wearing it, you need to wash it immediately. Otherwise, it is okay to reuse a few times.
- Invest in high quality bras for those you intend to use on special occasions or those that are designed to fit certain types of dresses (such as strapless bras).
- Invest in everyday bras as much as possible. You want to get as much wear as possible for every piece so choose ones that can go with a variety of outfits. This is the secret to maintaining a minimalist undergarment wardrobe.
- Think about the color of the bra you invest in. While a hot pink bra might look cute, you will be limited in terms of what you can wear it with. Go for white or soft neutrals as they will work with a few outfits.
- Choose quality over quantity. It is better to have only a few pieces that are good in quality than to buy many that won’t last a long time.
How Long Should You Keep a Bra For?
Most women like to invest in high quality undergarments such as bras. It is the foundation of a good outfit and gives some women added confidence. Therefore, most like to take good care of their investments to ensure that their bras last for a long time.
But how long should you keep a bra for? When is it time to toss them out and buy new ones?
This is another important question that you need to address. According to experts, bras are made of fine materials that get worn out after 12 to 18 months. This is a good time frame to use when it comes to deciding when to update your bra collection. You can stretch this out for a few months, as long as you give proper care and maintenance to these delicate pieces.
Another rule of thumb when it comes to replacing your bras is when the straps start to dig into your skin or the band feels overstretched. The perfect fit should hug you perfectly. As soon as it starts to feel uncomfortable, you need to get a new one.
Types of Bras Every Woman Should Have
To answer the question on how many bras you should own, here is a guide to the most essential types of bras you need to have in your closet.
If you want to reduce your bra collection to the bare essentials, it is important to focus on the essential ones you need. Here are some of the bra styles that every woman must have:
- Everyday Bra (Basic Bra) – This is the most common type of bra you need to invest in. It is essentially what its name implies – the kind of bra that is comfortable enough for everyday use. They are is mostly skin-colored and designed for comfort.
- Seamless Bra – This is also known as the T-shirt bra because it comes with molded, yet smooth cups and seamless straps. It is known for having the lowest profile and most versatile fit.
- Sports Bra – As the name implies, this type of bra is recommended for active use. It is designed for added support and bounce protection that any other types of bra can’t offer.
- Special Occasion Bra – This refers to styles that you don’t often wear and are suited for special occasions, such as when you’re wearing a gown. A good example of this is a plunge bra, which is recommended for wrap or deep V-neck dresses.
- Strapless Bra – This type of bra is a great choice when wearing dresses or tops with thin straps or no straps at all.
- Convertible Bra – This is a good investment as it acts as two or three bras in one. It has a removable and convertible strap that you can adjust according to the style of your top or dress.
How Many Bras Should I Own: Conclusion
Are you surprised to know that you only need a few bras in your wardrobe? You can definitely survive with only a maximum of 7 bras in your collection. As long as you choose the most versatile and functional ones, you won’t need many. Edit your wardrobe and make sure you only have what you really need.